If you have significant excess skin, loose abdominal muscles, and excess fat, you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty. Tummy tuck is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures available, as it can dramatically improve your body contour and flatten a belly that has been resistant to diet and exercise.
Schedule your free consultation with cosmetic surgeon Dr. Anthony Miller today by calling 714-379-9777 and find out if a tummy tuck is the right procedure for you. We serve Huntington Beach, Orange County, Newport Beach and nearby areas in California.
Get more information about tummy tuck surgery in the following sections:
- What Is a Tummy Tuck?
- What's the Difference between Abdominoplasty and Liposuction?
- Best of Both Words: The Avelar Tummy Tuck
- Benefits of Avelar Abdominoplasty
- Avelar Tummy Tuck Recovery
- Is a Tummy Tuck Right for Me?
- Mini Tummy Tuck vs. Full Tummy Tuck
- Tummy Tucks for Men
- Can You Combine a Tummy Tuck with Another Surgical Procedure?
- How Much Does a Tummy Tuck Cost?
- What to Expect the Day of Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Schedule Your Free Tummy Tuck Consultation
A tummy tuck, clinically known as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure that removes fatty tissue and eliminates excess skin in the abdominal area. Abdominoplasty also helps to tighten abdominal muscles that have weakened or been separated by pregnancy. In addition, a tummy tuck can help to remove stretch marks below the navel.
Tummy tucks are very popular for men and women who have both excess fat and skin that they would like to reduce for a trimmer, more toned shape. A tummy tuck is an invasive procedure that will leave a long scar along your bikini line, but the majority of patients find the results to be well worth it. Dr. Miller is highly experienced in performing tummy tucks with incisions that heal well and are easily hidden.
While liposuction and abdominoplasty perform similar functions, there are significant differences between these two procedures.
- Abdominoplasty: A tummy tuck is more invasive and leaves a long scar. It can accomplish more than liposuction, though. A tummy tuck can reduce larger amounts of excess fat, and it can reduce hanging, excess skin. A tummy tuck can also tighten loose abdominal muscles, while liposuction cannot accomplish this.
- Liposuction: Liposuction is less invasive and leaves less scarring. In addition, liposuction can be used to contour many different areas of the body, not just the abdomen. However, liposuction does not eliminate excess skin.
If you are in need of a tummy tuck but also want to contour other parts of your body, it is possible to combine the two procedures in the Avelar tummy tuck, a revolutionary approach to abdominoplasty that offers you a better overall body shape and less downtime.
The Avelar Tummy Tuck is a drainless, liposuction-based abdominoplasty. Like a traditional tummy tuck, the Avelar technique removes excess fat and skin for a more toned abdominal area. However, the main difference between the two procedures is that the Avelar method combines abdominoplasty and liposuction in a single procedure and does not require the use of post-surgical drains. It is a more modern and refined version of traditional tummy tuck.
Whether you’ve just lost a substantial amount of weight, want to restore your pre-pregnancy figure or struggle to achieve the sculpted physique you desire through diet and exercise alone, a tummy tuck can help you look great and feel confident. By combining abdominoplasty with liposuction in an Avelar tummy tuck, you enjoy the best of both worlds and experience a number of unique benefits, including:
- Less invasive procedure
- You can go home day of your surgery
- More fat is removed through liposuction
- Shorter incision
- Faster recovery
- No drains
Using the Avelar tummy tuck technique Dr. Miller can remove of excess skin and fat without large incisions. This method also preserves important nerves and blood vessels and offers a quicker and more comfortable recovery. With a healthy blood supply, incisions made in Avelar tummy tucks typically heal very well and with less risks.
The Avelar tummy tuck provides dramatic results that are very similar to those of a traditional tummy tuck. You will enjoy a more trim and toned profile without the paunch. Scars are smaller with the Avelar method, and easily hidden under everyday clothing.
Recovery after an Avelar abdominoplasty is faster and has less risk of complications. While you will still need to take it easy immediately following your Avelor tummy tuck, you will be able to return to your regular active lifestyle more quickly than with other abdominoplasty methods.
In general, ideal candidates for a tummy tuck:
- Are at or near a healthy, stable weight
- Are non-smokers, or are able to quit smoking for a period of time before and after the procedure
- Understand the potential risks
- Have realistic expectations
- Can commit to a healthy lifestyle to maintain results
This list is a general overview and not meant to serve as a substitute for meeting personally with Dr. Miller in a free, confidential consultation. During your initial consult, Dr. Miller will evaluate your goals, physical condition and medical history. He will determine if abdominoplasty is right for you and discuss all of your body contouring options.
If you have laxity and excess skin below your navel, you may be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck. A mini tummy tuck is not as extensive as a full tummy tuck, but it requires a smaller incision at your bikini area and does not require an incision around the navel, meaning that you'll have less scarring and an easier recovery time.
Mini tummy tucks can also be combined with liposuction of the upper abdomen and flanks for better results. In addition, it can be done under local anesthesia instead of general, and takes only around one hour to perform. A full tummy tuck takes around four hours.
The drawbacks of a mini tummy tuck are that it does not address the entire abdominal wall, and cannot provide the same amount of tightening and fat reduction that a full tummy tuck can. Talk to Dr. Miller during your consultation to see if you may benefit from a mini tummy tuck.
More and more men are realizing that they, too, can achieve a more toned and flatter abdomen through cosmetic surgery. The popularity of tummy tucks for men has risen dramatically in the past few years, and has necessitated specialized techniques in order to achieve masculine results.
Tummy tucks differ somewhat between men and women, some considerations include:
- Different intra-abdominal fat amounts: Compared to women, men usually accumulate more fat inside the abdomen. Dr. Miller considers this prior to surgery and creates a plan that accentuates the six pack.
- Different fat distribution patterns: Men’s bodies distribute fat differently than women, particularly in areas such as the thighs, flanks and navel region. Dr. Miller takes this into consideration and tailors men’s procedures to accentuate the male muscle structure.
- Belly button appearance: For men who are concerned with navels that appear too big or overly-round, Dr. Miller can reduce the size of the belly button and create an attractive, natural oval shape.
If you have diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, you should consult your doctor beforehand to make sure these conditions are well under control before having tummy tuck surgery. You should also be able to stop smoking for some time both before and after your procedure.
Tummy tucks can be combined with other cosmetic surgery procedures if you want to address more than one area at once. A particularly popular combination is a tummy tuck plus a breast augmentation or breast lift, commonly called a mommy makeover.
New mothers often find that their breasts have deflated and sagged after breastfeeding, and their stomach area doesn't respond to healthy lifestyle choices. A mommy makeover can address the breasts and the stomach at the same time in order to restore your pre-childbirth body.
Tummy tucks start at $8,000. Orange County Cosmetic Surgery offers several payment & financing options, including CareCredit to help fund your procedure. CareCredit is one of the nation’s most reputable finance programs that will help you get the treatment you need with no upfront costs and no pre-payment penalties. If you are interested in CareCredit, ask us about it during your consultation. Our staff can give you more information.
In addition to CareCredit, we also accept the following forms of payment:
- Credit card
While it may be tempting to "shop around" for the cheapest cosmetic surgery costs, you are taking a big risk by visiting a cosmetic surgeon based on price rather than skill. If a procedure goes wrong, the costs of revision surgery often end up surpassing the costs of the original surgery.
The length of your tummy tuck procedure will depend on several factors, including the type of procedure being performed and the amount of work needed to be done.
The day before surgery, do not eat or drink anything after midnight. In the morning, take your prescribed anti-nausea medication with water, and do not wear makeup or perfume.
Before operating, anesthesia will be administered. You should be sure to have someone who can drive you home afterwards, as you will not be able to operate a vehicle.
If you are ready to take the first step toward a flatter abdomen, call Dr. Miller today at 714-379-9777 to schedule your free consultation. You can also fill out the email contact form below and our staff will get back to you at the earliest. We welcome patients from Huntington Beach, Orange County, Newport Beach and other California communities.