The signs of aging or naturally flat facial contours can be a frustrating problem. We get excited when patients bring these concerns to us because we know that there are proven ways to address them without surgery. Whether you want to combine injectable dermal fillers with surgery or turn to this treatment as a conservative way to feel better about your appearance, we're here to help you accomplish your goal. We offer a variety of dermal fillers, including Juvederm, which is one of the most well-known product lines available today.
If you are interested in learning more about Juvederm injectable treatment, call Orange County Cosmetic Surgery today at 714-379-9777 and schedule a consultation. We proudly serve Huntington Beach, Orange County, and Newport Beach.
How Does Juvederm Work?
Juvederm is a family of dermal fillers formulated around the unique properties of hyaluronic acid. This naturally-occurring acid attaches to water molecules in the body to achieve functions like lubricating the joints and eyes and moistening the skin. In the form of a dermal filler, hyaluronic acid is purposefully injected into a unique target, such as the lines that appear around the nose and mouth. When inserted into the deeper layers of the skin, the hyaluronic acid in Juvederm tethers to water molecules, resulting in noticeable plumping and the temporary elimination of lines and creases.
There are several Juvederm products that we can choose from to address various concerns. Each contains hyaluronic acid, but in a slightly different formulation that alters the consistency of the product. The variances between Juvederm products enable us to achieve ideal contouring for different parts of the face. Your lips, for example, do not need a heavy dermal filler. They need one that is light and soft. Your cheeks, on the other hand, need a more structural dermal filler. Within the Juvederm family, there is a filler for every facial area.
What is the Treatment Process Like?
We make your Juvederm treatment fun, comfortable, and exciting! When you come to our Orange County office, we begin by sitting with you to discuss your goals and concerns. Your trained provider will observe the areas you bring up and will discuss which Juvederm product would be suitable for the optimal correction of your concerns. They will answer your questions and, if you're ready, perform your treatment during the same visit.
Juvederm injections take just a few minutes. A combination of different products may be used depending on the concerns you would like to address. You can also combine your Juvederm treatment with Botox or Dysport for broader facial rejuvenation. Your treatment should be very minimally uncomfortable, or may even be painless, due to a combination of a tiny needle, gentle injection techniques, and a mild numbing agent in the filler. You will see the results of your Juvederm treatment immediately.
Am I a Candidate for Juvederm?
Provided that you are generally healthy and are not pregnant or breastfeeding, you should be a good candidate for Juvederm injections. Your provider may ask you questions regarding your current skin health or history of cold sores. If you develop an active viral or bacterial infection before your dermal filler appointment, contact the office. It may be necessary to postpone your injectable treatment until after the infection has been resolved.
What Are the Risks?
In general, Juvederm injections are very safe. There is a risk of infection anytime the skin is broken. However, that risk is very minor with dermal filler treatment due to the small size of the injection needle. More common side effects after Juvederm treatment include bruising and lumpiness. Lumps, if they do form, usually are not visible but, rather, are felt. If you feel lumps beneath your skin, you can gently massage the area to help them resolve more quickly. The risk of bruising can be minimized by avoiding blood-thinning medications and supplements, including aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, and other products, for several days before treatment. It is also advantageous to refrain from drinking alcohol during the 24 hours before and after Juvederm injections. If you notice bruising after your treatment, this should be disguisable with makeup.
While Juvederm and other injectables are considered safe and effective, the risks of accidental injection into a blood vessel increase if you do not choose a qualified professional to administer your treatment. As long as you receive treatment from a properly trained, licensed, board-certified injector, you have very little chance of experiencing significant side effects from your treatment.
How Long Is the Recovery?
There are several advantages to dermal filler treatment. One is that you do not need to schedule time off to recover from your procedure. You can expect to resume your normal activities without compromising your results, though your provider might instruct you to avoid excessive heat and strenuous physical activity for about 12 hours after your appointment. By the following day, you can go right back to your daily life as usual.
What Problems Can Juvederm Treat?
With a diverse collection of products, Juvederm can address a wide variety of cosmetic concerns in different areas of the face and hands. Some of the problems that we treat often include:
- Lines and creases. The most noticeable lines to develop on the face are the nasolabial folds. These can run all the way from the corners of your nose to the corners of your mouth. Sometimes called smile lines, the nasolabial folds may be more visible when you smile but also present when your face is at rest. Another common problem that we treat with Juvederm is the marionette lines that form at the outer corners of the mouth. These run down to the chin, giving the mouth a downturned look.
- Deflated, flat cheeks. With age, the middle of the face can change quite drastically. The cheekbones may become nondescript, devoid of contours. Conversely, when fatty tissue diminishes in the area below the cheekbones, the face may start to look gaunt and sunken. Juvederm Voluma was created specifically for immediate, lasting cheek augmentation.
- Thin lips. Some people have naturally thin lips. Others notice that their lips look flatter and thinner as they age, causing the upper lip to virtually disappear when smiling. Juvederm can be applied to the borders of the lips to create more definition, to the fine lines that form around the mouth, and also to the body of the lips to improve volume.
What if I Don't Like How I Look with Dermal Fillers?
It can feel daunting to commit to treatment that offers results that can last well over a year. Juvederm products, being made with hyaluronic acid, don't bind you to long-term effects. If you aren't completely satisfied with the way you look with dermal fillers, we can resolve them with a subsequent round of injections! In this case, we administer an enzyme into the treated area to break down the hyaluronic acid within 24 to 48 hours.
Will Lip Filler Make Me Look Unnatural?
Our experienced injectors are careful to administer lip injections in a way that promotes enhanced shape and definition without creating an unwanted "duck lip" appearance. If you're ready to seek lip filler treatment, consider the following tips for ensuring you get results that you love:
- Communicate your expectations. Lip filler can look incredible when it's planned around your unique desires. During your consultation, feel free to show your provider pictures of lips that you admire. Keep in mind, however, that those lips may look fabulous in part because they are in harmony with that person's facial structure. Your lips, too, should match your other facial features. We can administer Juvederm slowly and methodically, stopping as we go to show you the effects.
- Select the right product. Actually, your provider will do this for you based on your desired outcome, the area of the lip you want to be treated, and your natural tissue. Juvederm Volbella has been formulated in a smooth, light gel base for natural-looking, natural-feeling lip enhancement.
- Restraint. If you're new to lip injections, there's no harm in taking it slow! More isn't necessarily better when it comes to lip augmentation. You can always add more later if you desire more fullness or definition once your filler settles.
Schedule your Juvederm Consultation
We would love to help you address your frustrating cosmetic concerns. Contact Orange County Cosmetic Surgery today at 714-379-9777 to schedule your Juvederm consultation.